Sunday, July 2, 2023

Two Poems from Hawkscry

 

 


 Marveling

In the afternoon, a breeze rises,
setting the tops of trees to swaying.
What a joy to spend the whole day marveling!
Slowly, slowly, the summer sun moves across the sky.
Two wood thrushes, two! call to each other through the woods.
I am as slow as the inchworm moving up my arm.
Now the sun slants in from the west,
lighting up the woods in a whole new way.
I absorb the silence like Mother's milk,
marveling and giving thanks all day.

Annelinde Metzner
Hawkscry
June 28, 2023

 

 

End of June

End of June, a day of quiet,
hardly a breeze, stillness in the air.
I am still, too, and nothing stirs,
just a silent opening-out of green,
opening all our arms to the Sun.
The dahlias, a riotous multi-petaled lotus of color,
the milkweed waiting patiently for monarchs,
and far in the woods, at the edge of it all,
the wood thrush.
High, high overhead, an eagle drifts on the thermals.
I, too, am deeply resting,
incubating,
opening my leaves in green joy
for whatever is coming next.

Annelinde Metzner
Hawkscry
June 28, 2023

 


 

 


 














2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing and sharing these lovely poems written at Hawkscry. What a joy and honor to read them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joy to read these poems. So grateful!!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!