Wednesday, September 28, 2022

The Procession of the Geese

 




Once again I'm at my parents' grave,
    a joyous journey, not too far-
    to bring bright Autumn flowers.
I settle in on my camp chair,
    relishing the quiet,
    that timelessness we receive so hungrily
    when our ancestors are near.
Maple leaves rustle in the wind.
And then-
Gazing across the mowed grass,
    they come into my awareness.
Almost silent,
    all in a row, eyes on the ground,
    pecking here and there for a worm-
The Procession of the Geese!
Oblivious to me, oblivious to the graves,
    uncaring of the names or the dates,
    in a long parade they step,
    with the occasional honk,
    intent on finding food.
"Here is some life for you!" they call,
    webbed feet stepping purposefully
    through the grass.
"Regenerate, and keep going!"
All sixty of them call to me,
    in the voice of Life itself.

Annelinde Metzner

September 28, 2022













2 comments:

  1. Well, a goose blessing is pretty neat, whether they intended it or not...there's all that wild wonderful flying and swimming energy they represent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..."that timelessness we receive so hungrily
    when our ancestors are near" moves me deeply Annelinde. I remember very clearly that cemetery where your parents are buried, and am very focused on my own ancestors at this time. Thank you for continuing to voice your heart and your work. (I have once again tried to post with my name and url but it says it's invalid so I must post 'anonymous'. This is Susa.)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!