Friday, March 21, 2014

Ix Chel in my Window





Ix Chel, Mayan Goddess by Katherine Skaggs




Goddess of the Moon!  Ix Chel,

translucent and ever-changing weaver woman,
creator, destroyer, healer,
Lady Rainbow,
sleek jaguar of stealth and grace,
how you awaken me each morning!
Long before the sun’s rise, now in early Spring,
you are there, Ix Chel, in my window,
sparkling bright mystery upon my sleepy eyelids.
I pull the blankets up to my eyes, and give gratitude,
oh most lovely Woman of the Isle of Women!
Before the day begins, you awaken me tenderly,
fresh from dreams, half asleep.
“Remember me!  I pass here each night,
I touch your forehead with my luminous beauty,
I bless you, I reach for you,
I am Ix Chel, your sister,
gracing you once more
with my lightest spark of transformation
and truth.  I only ask
that you receive me gladly.”

Annelinde Metzner
March 21, 2014


Read about Ix Chel's role in healing among the Maya at the wonderful website of Dr. Rosita Arvigo.  Mayan women in ancient times were required to make a pilgrimage in honor of Ix Chel (pronounced Ee-shell) to Cozumel, her sacred island, twice in a lifetime, at first menarche and at menopause.  Healing arts and midwifery were taught there.  The Spanish referred to the island as "that infamous place of idolatry."





Ix Chel by Susan Seddon Boulet






Ix Chel from the Dresden Codex




Ix Chel at Isla Mujeres






Mayan women praising Ix Chel (photo by Michael and Jennifer Lewis)










4 comments:

  1. Just wondering how you pronounce her name, like the letter "x" ? LOVE the pictures you've included...I want to celebrate too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ix Chel is pronounced "Ee-shell."

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I will now be singing Ee-shell, ma belle...

      Delete
    3. It is absolutely not pronounced "ee-shell". It's pronounded "eeshch el", with a "stop" on the sh. That shch an onomatopoeia, possibly meant to represent the sound of a jaguar taking a step in tall grass. This mispronunciation was spread by Kimberly Moore, who herself is not a scholar of Mayan theology, but really just a generic spiritualist.

      Delete

I welcome your comments!